Diploma in Financial Accounting
Dip. (Financial Accounting)
SAQA ID 93597
This programme is offered by Boston City Campus & Business College Head Office in the distance education mode, with all other Boston City Campus & Business Colleges operating as Support Centres. Apply to register at any Boston City Campus & Business College branch countrywide.
Download the Fact Sheet for additional, detailed programme information.
YEAR ONE MODULES
• Computer Literacy 1 (HCLP1171)*
• Computer Literacy 2 (HCLP2171)*
• Financial Accounting 1A (HFAC1A161)**
• Management Accounting 1A (HMAC1A161)**
• Company Law 1 (HCML1161)**
• Business Mathematics 1 (HBMTH1161)**
• Financial Accounting 1B (HFAC1B161)**
• Management Accounting 1B (HMAC1B161)**
• Business Management 1 (HBMN1161)**
• Socio-economics 1 (HSEC1161)**
• Computer Literacy 2 (HCLT2171)*
YEAR TWO MODULES
• Financial Accounting 2A (HFAC2A161)**
• Management Accounting 2A (HMAC2A161)**
• Financial Management for Accountants 1 (HFMD1161)**
• Company Law 2 (HCML2161)**
• Financial Accounting 2B (HFAC2B161)**
• Management Accounting 2B (HMAC2B161)**
• Auditing 1 (HAUD1161)**
• Taxation 1 (HTAX1181)**
YEAR THREE MODULES
• Financial Accounting 3A (HFAC3A161)**
• Management Accounting 3A (HMAC3A161)**
• Business, Leadership & Ethics for Accountants 3 (HBLE3161)**
• Applied Research (HAPRD161)**
• Financial Accounting 3B (HFAC3B161)**
• Management Accounting 3B (HMAC3B161)**
• Taxation 2 (HTAX2181)**
• Work Integrated Learning DIPFA (HWDFA3171)**
• Computerised Accounting (HCLT3171)*
All modules are compulsory and must be passed.
*Formative Assessments are undertaken and the highest grade achieved in Formative Assessment is retained. The final grade is based on the Summative Assessment only. A maximum of one (1) additional supplementary assessment opportunity is provided for the Summative Assessment, which will be charged for.
**Two (2) formal Formative Assessments are completed and are weighted 20% (each) of the final grade. No supplementary assessments are provided for Formative Assessments. Two (2) Summative Assessments are completed and are weighted 50% and 10% of the final grade. A maximum of one (1) supplementary assessment opportunity is provided for each Summative Assessment, which will be charged for.
Based on the credits and notional hours of this qualification, the minimum duration is six semesters over a period of three years, and the maximum duration is six years.
On completion of the programme graduates will have the necessary knowledge and practical skills required to:
• Operate effectively in the workplace using a number of Windows-based end-user applications
• Apply accounting functions and general business principles to real-life situations and interpret economic realities of local and global communities
• Develop knowledge and an understanding of the underlying principles and concepts relating to financial accounting and technical proficiency in the use of accounting techniques
• Demonstrate knowledge of the general legal framework and specific legal areas relating to business including the South African tax system as applicable to companies
• Manage computerised accounting and technology resources in organisations
• Identify the socio-economic needs of society and display cultural sensitivity within organisations
National Senior Certificate (NSC) with English and Mathematical Literacy or Mathematics as two of the modules passed and with endorsement for admission to Diploma study; or National Certificate (Vocational) (NC(V)) with English and Mathematical Literacy or Mathematics as two of the modules passed and with endorsement for admission to Diploma studies; or prior to 2009, Senior Certificate with English as one of the modules passed.
BOSTON HIGHER EDUCATION PROGRAMME
On successful completion the Learner will be issued a Diploma in Financial Accounting SAQA ID 93597, NQF L6, minimum 374 credits from Boston City Campus& Business College.