Diploma: Commerce in Public Relations
Dip. (Commerce) (Public Relations)
SAQA ID 21068
This programme is offered by Boston City Campus & Business College Head Office in the distance education mode, with all other Boston City Campus & Business Colleges operating as Support Centres. Apply to register at any Boston City Campus & Business College branch countrywide.
Download the Fact Sheet for additional, detailed programme information.
SABPP Learner Management fee, Student Membership fee and Occupational Programme Assessment Fee will be charged separately.
YEAR ONE MODULES
• Computer Literacy 1 (HCLP1171)*
• Computer Literacy 2 (HCLP2171)*
• Academic Literacy (HALP1181)**
• Marketing Management 1 (HMKT1181)**
• Introduction to Socioeconomics (HSEC1181)**
• Computer Literacy 2 (HCLT2171)*
• Public Relations 1 (HPR1181)**
• Event Management 1 (HEVM1181)**
• Media Law 1 (HMLW1181)**
• Business Management 1 (HBMN1181)**
YEAR TWO MODULES
• Computer Literacy 3 (HCLP3171)*
• Public Relations 2A (HPR2A181)**
• Project Management 1 (HPRM1181)**
• Integrated Marketing Communication 1 (HINT1181)**
• Basic Accounting (HBAC1181)**
• Public Relations 2B (HPR2B181)**
• Business Management 2 (HBMN2181)**
• Financial Management for Marketers (HFMM2181)**
• Work Integrated Learning DIP PR (HWDPR1181)
All modules are compulsory and must be passed.
*Formative Assessments are undertaken and the highest grade achieved in Formative Assessment is retained. The final grade is based on the Summative Assessment only. A maximum of one (1) additional supplementary assessment opportunity is provided for the Summative assessment, which will be charged for.
**One (1) formal Formative Assessment is completed and weighted at 50% of the final grade. No supplementary assessment is provided for Formative Assessment. One (1) Summative Assessment is completed and weighted at 50% of the final grade. A maximum of one (1) supplementary assessment opportunity is provided for the Summative Assessment, which will be charged for.
Based on the credits and notional hours of this qualification, the minimum duration is two years and the maximum duration is four years of study.
On completion of the programme, graduates will have the necessary knowledge and practical skills required to:
• Operate effectively in the workplace using a number of Windows-based end-user applications
• Apply principles of public relations and integrated communication practice to real life situations
• Analyse legal and financial data
• Demonstrate business and event management skills
• Identify the socio-economic needs of society
• Demonstrate an understanding of business ethics in practice
• Manage the public relations strategy and budget within an organisation
National Senior Certificate (NSC); or National Certificate (Vocational) (NC(V)) L4; or prior to 2009, Senior Certificate; or Further Education and Training (FET) Certificate; or equivalent qualification.
Boston will apply, on behalf of the Learner, to the SABPP for verification of the Learner’s results. On successful verification the Learner will be issued a Diploma: Commerce: Public Relations SAQA ID 21068, NQF Level 6, 240 credits from SABPP
The South African Board for People Practices (SABPP) is a Quality Assurance Partner (QAP) of the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) and is registered as a Professional Body by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
FURTHER STUDY OPPORTUNITIES
Ito RPL, on successful completion the Learner may apply for admission to any Boston Higher Education Programme. Each submission is individually evaluated, hence neither admission nor advanced placement is assured.